Root Canal Treatment in a Comfortable Setting
Your dentist is your best option if you are having persistent tooth pain, but in cases that involve nerves and roots of your teeth, you may be referred to an endodontist. The most common endodontic procedure is the root canal. When severe infection in a tooth requires endodontic treatment, bacteria is eliminated from the infected root canal so the natural tooth can be saved and sealed. It is a safe and effective procedure.
When Is a Root Canal Needed?
There are a number of symptoms that would suggest a root canal is needed. Among them:
- Difficulty chewing without pain
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, even after the heat or cold has been removed
- Discoloration of the tooth
- A fistula (pimple) on the gums
- Swelling and tenderness in gums
Getting a Root Canal
Root canal treatment has a reputation for being a painful procedure, but in reality it rarely involves discomfort and relieves the pain caused by the infection in the tooth. Your dentist will often complete a root canal, but in more difficult cases an endodontist may be needed. Endodontists specialize in root canals and other endodontic procedures.
Generally, these are the steps that will take place during a root canal:
- First, the dentist takes x-rays to see the shape of the root canals and assess the damage to the tooth.
- To prevent discomfort, the dentist will numb the affected tooth with local anesthetic.
- The dentist then makes an access hole in the crown of the tooth.
- The pulp and nerve tissue is removed.
- The tooth is sealed. This procedure may be delayed if the tooth needs to drain or extra medication is needed. A temporary filling may be used to seal the tooth during this time.
Schedule an Appointment with an Endodontist
To help you get the treatment you need, Hampden Dental has a certified Aurora endodontist on staff. We also have a wide range of dental specialists on staff to make visits to our office a one-stop process. Schedule an appointment today by calling 303-848-4929 or by filling out an appointment request form.