Are You Embarrassed About Missing or Damaged Teeth?
According to statistics from the American College of Prosthodontists, 178 million adults in the United States are missing at least one tooth. Fortunately, there are many solutions for replacing missing teeth, and one of the best is dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Implants are small, sturdy, titanium posts that acts as the root structure for a missing tooth. The posts are placed into your upper or lower jaw bone, and once the metal fixes to the bone, the implant can hold a crown, bridge or over-denture just like roots of a natural tooth can.
Implants require brushing, flossing and dental check-ups, just like your natural teeth. If you perform regular maintenance on your dental implants, they can last a lifetime.
Why Choose Implants?
Implants serve the same purpose as dentures or bridges, but they also provide a number of benefits, including the following:
- Implants are permanent and require no extra maintenance or adhesives as dentures do.
- Because the implant attaches to living bone, it feels more like a natural tooth.
- Can support a single or a full bridge, and can secure dentures for a better fit.
- Prevent bone loss and gum recession.
- Make it easier to chew, eat, talk and smile.
- Give you a younger appearance because of reduced facial wrinkles.
Types of Implants
There are three types of implants, which can be chosen based on your needs. Learn more about each option:
People with periodontal (gum) disease who are missing teeth may also be interested in dental implants. Learn more about gum disease.
At Hampden Dental Group, we have a periodontist and an oral surgeon on staff who can complete your implant procedure. Dr. Pearl Lai is the head of our Aurora periodontal team, and she has extensive experience in implant placement.