The occasional bleeding gum is quite common. However, experiencing bleeding gums more regularly is a serious health concern. Conventionally, treating bleeding gums would include regularly flossing and brushing. If flossing and brushing are consistently a part of your dental hygiene routine, your health concern may be the result of a deficiency.
According to a study conducted by Nutrition Reviews, you may be experiencing a vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, deficiency. Research in this study evaluated the results of over 1,100 participants within 15 different clinical trials. These clinical trials were evaluated from six countries including additional data from over 8,200 participants who completed the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. By gently probing the gums, researchers found the subjects who experienced bleeding were also low in Vitamin C. By then increasing their daily intake of vitamin C, the results of bleeding gums subsided.
Keep in mind, scurvy is a deadly disease caused by excessively low vitamin C levels. Signs of scurvy include bruising, fatigue, and bleeding gums. The findings of this study show that vitamin C recommendations fight against the development of scurvy.
Simple Ways to Add More Vitamin C to your Day
The complete value of vitamin C for adults is a minimum of 500 milligrams daily. Here are some easy ways to add more vitamin C in your daily diet:
- Increase your fruit and vegetable intake. Fruits like guava, lemons, oranges, strawberries, and vegetables like kale, brussels sprouts, sweet yellow peppers, chili peppers, thyme, and broccoli all contain loads of vitamin C that will easily increase your daily value.
- Vitamin C supplement. If adding certain foods into your diet becomes challenging, supplements are an easy alternative to help you reach your daily intake. With a large variety of supplement options such as gummies, capsules, and liquids – you can choose what appeals most to you!
The Amazing Benefits of Vitamin C
Maintaining healthy gums can be achieved through taking vitamin C daily; however, there are additional benefits, like:
- Supports development, growth, and reparation of the body’s tissues.
- Assists in bodily functions like iron absorption, collagen, and the overall health and strength of the immune system.
- Helps to stabilize blood pressure levels and lower the risk of heart disease.
- Protects cognitive function, such as memory.
Seek the Help of a Professional
If you or a loved one is experiencing abnormal gum bleeding, despite your healthy oral-care practices at home, consider visiting your dentist.